What are FET Colleges?

Where to Study ICB: FET Colleges

What are FET Colleges?

FET colleges are vocational or occupational by nature, meaning that the student receives education and training for a specific range of jobs or employment possibilities. The courses offered by a FET college are job-specific and can assist you in getting the practical training you need to enter the job market successfully.

Where can I find an FET College ?

When searching for an FET College, make sure that the college are in fact accredited by a SETA, Umalusi or the CHE. Or registered with the Department of Higher Education.  An accredited college has the right to offer vocational and occupational courses.

What mode of learning is available?

When choosing a school, make sure you favour the learning style they practice. For instance – Do you want attend classes at a campus or do you prefer distance learning education training (home study)?

There is a choice of either studying on campus or through distance learning; depending on your preference and availability. If you want to study and work at the same time then distance learning would be a better option, or if you want to study full time then the campus learning would be a better option.

 

FET College Bookkeeping Course Through Distance Learning

You can study all the ICB courses with these accredited distance learning institutions:

Skills Academy ICB Courses Through Distance Learning

The ICB bookkeeping programme is comprised of four different levels. Inside each level can be several courses.

  • Foundation Level
  • Intermediate Level
  • Upper Intermediate Level
  • Advanced Level

As you finish each level, you will get approved by the ICB. You will get an ICB Certificate. As you finish the different courses inside the levels, you will get recognition from FASSET in the form of your formal qualification from FASSET.

What are FET Colleges?

What are FET Colleges?

Who Are The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB)?

The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) is an examining body and a Quality Assurance Partner (QAP) of the Quality Council for Trades & Occupations (QCTO). The ICB qualifications are certificated by the Financial and Accounting Services Sector Education and Training Authority (FASSET) Skills Education and Training Authority (SETA).

What are FET Colleges?

What are FET Colleges?

The ICB has been around since 1931. Its role is to improve and maintain the quality, credibility and reputation of bookkeeping, accounting, office administration and financial management training and qualifications in Southern Africa.

 

 

What ICB Courses Can I Study with an FET College?

What are the costs of studying ICB?

Registering for an ICB course, and you need to make sure you understand all the different costs? Here is the list of all the different ICB registration fees 2018:

  • Yearly ICB Student Registration fee – paid to the ICB
  • Course fees – paid to your College
  • Exam fee per subject – Paid to the ICB
  • ICBA Student Membership fees – paid to the ICBA

 

Read more about the different ICB Exam and Membership fees here.

 

If you are ready to enter for exams and receive your Portfolio of Evidence (PoE) then you must have sent your Assessment Entry Form and your proof of payment for your ICB registration fees 2018 to the ICB. At the time you enter for the first exam of the year the annual registration fee is payable as well.

 

Please remember that if you have not paid your ICB registration fees 2018 or you have sent incomplete information on your forms then your exam entry will not be processed.

 

You can pay your ICB registration fees 2018 via:

  • EFT
  • Credit card
  • Snapscan

 

How does the ICB Exams Work?

Your final mark for your ICB subject is worked out in the following way.  Your final exam counts for 70%, and activities and evaluations you got in your Portfolio of Evidence (PoE) count for the rest of the 30%.

 

When your register for your ICB exam the ICB will send you your Portfolio of Evidence (PoE).  The POE is a folder with a number of assessments you need to complete and take to your final exam. Your PoE is complete when your final assessment is added to it at the end of your course.  This means that you add your final exam paper to your POE, and hand it in when you complete the exam.

 

You’ll need to get at least 50% for the final exam to pass, regardless of your overall mark.This means that the assessments you do to take to the exam and the final exam are all vital if you want to do well in your course.  Remember that the assessments in your POE will also give you a good idea of what you need to  know in your final exam.

 

Your overall mark needs to be at least 60% to pass the subject.  Remember you also need to get at least 50% for the exam itself.

For more information read the ICB prospectus page.

 

Last Updated: April 2, 2019